Passing Through

One man's musings as he journeys through life!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Universal City, Texas, United States

Retired and married to a wonderful woman for over 45 years. Served in the United States Air Force for 31 years; living four years in France and eight years in Germany. Worked as a licensed Realtor for 15 years. Blessed beyond all expectations! Blessed with an aging Maine Coon cat named "Miss Kitty".

Sunday, February 03, 2013

Sub tuum Praesidium--Just A Thought

The following is an e-mail I sent to my "Family & Friends" addressees on February 6, 2010. I think you may still find it interesting.

When I was in college my well respected history professor stated that the "Cult of Mary" or the "Cult of the Virgin Mary" developed during and from the European "Age of Chivalry". I believe his understanding was in error and that the European "Age of Chivalry" was a natural fruit of the Christians' devotion to Mary--the Blessed Virgin.

Just this past month I cam across the prayer "Sub tuum Praesidium", the earleist documented known prayer to Mary, circa the year 300. The prayer goes as follows:

"We turn to you for protection, holy Mother of God. Listen to our prayers and help us in our needs. Save us from every danger glorious and blessed Virgin."*

I believe the medieval respect for Mary was projected to all women and womenhood. It seems to me, that we as a culture, have lost this respect.

*(Added: On Wikipedia it dates the prayer (hymnn) to approximately 250 and it includes four slightly different translations--one from Greek, two from the Slavonic Church and one from Latin.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home